04 August 2009

Instant Crêpe Dessert

When I finished making the Carmelised Onion Focaccia, I was left with a half cup of flour I didn't want to go to waste. After mulling over this for a few seconds, I decided to use it to partake in one of my favourite culinary past times: throwing things together and hoping for the best.

What I essentially ended up with was crêpe sucre a la mode with a coffee infused chocolate sauce and a cookie garnish. It sounds complicated but actually was extremely easy. In addition all I used were things I had laying around my kitchen already.

Instant Crêpe Dessert
Crêpe
1/2 cup flour
1 egg
1/4 cup skim milk
sugar

Sweet Filling
sugar
light cream cheese (thinly sliced)
cinnamon
  1. Add all the ingredients into a small bowl and beat until smooth. If the flour clumps, do not worry (this happened to me) and simply strain the mixture through a fine strainer (such as those used for powdered sugar) or a sifter.
  2. Pour onto a heated non-stick frying pan until the entire bottom is coated (I used the pan from when I carmelised the onions for just a bit more sweet flavour)
  3. Wait until a thin skin has hardened across the entire top of the batter and then sprinkle sugar and cinnamon on one half of the crêpe. Then place the thinly sliced pieces of cream cheese on top of the sugar/cinnamon and dust with more sugar on.
  4. At this point fold the crêpe in half with a spatula, pressing it down so that the half without the sugar completely covers and solidly connects with the sugared half.
  5. Keep the folded crêpe on the stove until the sugar has melted, occasionally turning it over to prevent burning,
Coffee infused Chocolate Sauce

Chocolate Sauce (I used Smucker's Chocolate Topping)
Cold Coffee (I used some leftover in my french press)
  1. Heat the chocolate sauce in the microwave until very runny.
  2. Pour some into a bowl. Immediately pour the coffee over it.
  3. While the chocolate sauce is still hot, mix the two liquids together (I used a toothpick) until they are combined.
  4. Heat up the mixture in the microwave again and serve.
Plating instructions
Crêpe Sucre
Coffee Infused Chocolate Sauce
Ice Cream (I used Co-op Fudge Sundae Surpreme)
A Chocolate Cookie
  1. After cooking the crêpe, fold it again (into quarters) and place in the fridge to chill.
  2. After it has cooled, place it on a dish (warning, the sugar filling might spill out everywhere, it will still be a liquid)
  3. Add one scoop of ice cream onto the crêpe.
  4. Pour the sauce generously over the crêpe and the ice cream.
  5. Garnish with a piece of a chocolate cookie and serve.

NOTES:
  • The chocolate sauce tends to have a weak chocolate flavour and an even weaker coffee flavour so don't be afraid to use a lot.
  • The reason that this is called an 'instant' crêpe is that this recipe does not call for you to chill the batter like most crêpes - hence it is great for impulsive or impatient people like myself.

1 comment:

  1. Yep, this looks even tastier now that I see a recipe and a picture. Something I will try when the lilikoi meringue pie is gone...

    ReplyDelete

Have thoughts on post? Tried this recipe? Share your good/bad experience...