28 November 2009

That Perfect Roll

When you are shooting film, there are so many things that can go wrong. The exposure can be wrong, the camera can move at the last second, and you can forget to load the film. Then you can have light leaks, expired chemicals, developing errors, or scratched negatives. Essentially a huge variety of possible critical errors. However, you can also sometimes get that one roll where everything, for some reason or another, just works. For me, that roll came when I was in New York City on holiday.

Personally, I have loved New York City for as long as I can remember. I wholeheartedly believed in the hyper-romanticism that Hollywood (and American art in general) has swathed the city in. Then, when I visited last NYC last spring for the first time, I wasn't disappointed. I think there is something magical when you walk through that urban forest of glass and steel, feeling the energy of the 'city that never sleeps' following out of the cafes and parks and into the streets.

In fact, I had such a great time during the spring, that I immediately booked another trip as my fall. It was on this trip, a few months ago in October, that I took this roll. Unfortunately, I lost my film for the first few days so I only could shoot about half the roll in NYC and the other half when I returned home, but my luck seemed to carry on through, turning into my favourite roll I ever shot.

Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts on post? Tried this recipe? Share your good/bad experience...