18 December 2009

Persona Project

The concept of identity and what composes a person is a topic often fraught with with discussion and disagreement. In order to generate ideas, we reviewed a large variety of different photographs that were related to the concept of the persona. Some were of self portraits, some were of trains, but all had and underlying sense of exploration and definition. For this project, we were tasked to define persona in our own way
-- -------------------- --

"Indexing is the act of demarcating an object at a specific time, to represent how it behaved/existed in that time frame alone as to avoid possible confusion. For example Daniel: Age 3 behaves very differently than Daniel: Age 15."
- General Semantics Theory

There is no such thing as two completely identical objects. When you look snowflakes under a microscope, obviously they are not the same. However, if you measure an orange one day and then again weeks later, the same orange will give you a different reading. To measure this temporal change, we use indexing.

Throughout my life I have always found myself flitting from one group of people to the next, making friends easily, but making attachments only with great difficulty. In addition, as a third culture child, my sense of otherness has been magnifies as after returning of my place of birth I find I am more of an alien than in the foreign lands I just departed.

This project attempts to index the different facets of my life and subcultures that I did/still belong to. Some of the representations are literal and some are metaphorical but all are true and are me. The images are presented fading into the black background to represent the tentative and intangible hold that each had on my life, never quite becoming fully realised, but instead fluctuating in and out of my life, just like the many locales I have tried to call home.

Scanned Prints:
To be added
persona_image1_finalscan_print.jpg
persona_image6_finalscan_print.jpg
persona_image7_finalscan_print.jpg
persona_image8_finalscan_print.jpg

Scanned Negatives:
To be added
persona_image1_finalscan.jpg
persona_image2_finalscan.jpg
persona_image4_finalscan.jpg
persona_image5_finalscan.jpg
persona_image6_finalscan.jpg
persona_image8_finalscan.jpg
persona_image9_finalscan.jpg
persona_image10_finalscan.jpg
persona_image11_finalscan.jpg

Project Slideshow:


Project negatives: Persona Project

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts on post? Tried this recipe? Share your good/bad experience...