26 October 2009

Experimental Gastronomy (in Food)

Molecular gastronomy is a type of cooking which is all about reinventing food through science. One of my first introductions into pure 'molecular gastronomy' was through a Daring Cooks challenge in which the participants had to create powdered forms of foods like apple, tomato, carrot, and lemon. My reaction to the form of food was a bipolarity of emotions in which I was fascinated by and dismissed the concept as pretentious bullshit. Since then, I have discovered many new forms of molecular gastronomy, many of which are interesting and innovative, but the overarching haze of elitism has never moved that far away.

Probably what I found the most exciting example of molecular gastronomy was a post on parfaits by the webzine Luxirare. The zines creator Ji, said that she was interested taking the simple concept of the yougurt parfait and making it more provocative. I really like this post and this blog in general because it is very well enticingly laid out and the photography is incredible.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts on post? Tried this recipe? Share your good/bad experience...