26 September 2009

The Netherlands

One of my least favourite questions that I am –unfortunately– asked all the time is "Where's home for you?" I don't dislike this question because I had problems with my parents, or because I have a lot of regrets, but simply because I don't know. I was born in the southern United States, spent most of what I call my "sentient life/maturation years" in the Netherlands, and now I split my time between Ohio, (in the U.S.A.) and Calgary (in Canada) where my family lives. Essentially what I am is a sociological phenomenon called a TCK (or Third Culture Kid).

A TCK is someone who, at a young age, moved at least once to country different than there own. This means that they not only have the culture of their family imprinted onto them, but they also appropriate the culture of where they live, which are often very different if not entirely at odds with each other. These two cultures then mesh together to create a unique third culture for that individual which contains portions of both. The unfortunate side effect of this though is that not only is the person than an alien in the country they reside, but also finds themselves an outside in their 'own; country. This usually leads to the humourous conjecture that we TCKs are only really at home in airports, which is, embarrassingly enough, often true.

But to the topic at hand: The Netherlands.
Personally, I love the Netherlands: the people, the culture, the crazy laws, the high propensity for CEO, CFOs, and other high up mucky-mucks to cycle to work, the low drinking age, the long and tumultuous history, the place is just brilliant. One thing that I believe the Netherlands deserves a special commendations for is as a place to raise children. Mayhaps I am a bit biased because I was lived there from age 10 to almost age 19, but seriously, the cities are safe, there are almost no drunk drivers, and you can everywhere via public transport and the bicycle.

Anyways, because of all this I decided to post a short photo essay about the Netherlands as a homage to that country that has treated me so well. It is a hollistic piece, not only showing touristy parts, but also the less glamourous, and even ugly things that make up the country.

Credit: Merten Snijders, Lonley Planet


Credit: Amsterdam City Cruises



Credit: Pattitours.net


Credit: Food 441


Credit: Chexov, Flikr


Credit: Michael Porro, Life Magazine


Credit: Virtual Tourist


Found at: Mizdemeanor.net


Found at: Joejet.com


Credit: De Spiegel

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts on post? Tried this recipe? Share your good/bad experience...