28 September 2009

Apple Cake

Autumn is a time of the year that I have always loved. I am not sure whether it is the brisk chill of the wind as it bites through your clothes or the orchestra of colours conducted throughout the forests as the leaves begin to fall, but it whatever it is, it always gets to me. It is a very personal and reflective time of the year for me... but it is also a time for apples.

I love apples, or I should say, I now love apples. For a large portion of my life I was a relatively picky eater and didn't eat a lot of fruit. I didn't really eat a lot of variety at all even, unless it was unwillingly forced down my throat. Fortunately that has since changed, and with it has come a greater appreciation for the quintessential America fruit.

Now, as much as I enjoy eating the simplistic 'apple slices' (either plain, with peanut butter, or with honey as the occasion may mandate) another item I have gained a real appreciation for is apple-baked goods — such as apple cake.

My reason for making apple cake on this particular day was that I was required to bring in a dish for a photography critique in my class and since it is now fall, the cooperative where I eat just received a shipment of fresh local apples. Also, I had helped my friend make this particular cake a few weeks before (for a similar reason) and so I was fairly confident it would work.


Apple Cake
1 1/4 cups white sugar
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
2 teaspoons baking soda
pinch of nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
5 1/2 cups chopped apples
Freshly whipped cream (optional)
  1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C).
  2. In a medium bowl, stir together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, and baking soda. Add the eggs, oil and vanilla, mix well. Add the nuts and apple, mix until all of the apples are evenly coated. Pour into a greased 9x9 inch pan.
  3. Bake for 75-90 minutes in the preheated oven or until a knife inserted comes out clean. Serve warm or cool, garnished with freshly whipped cream


Freshly Whipped Cream
1 cup Heavy [whipping] cream
1/2 cup white cane sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla

  1. Pour the creme and vanilla into a bowl and begin to beat (preferably with a hand mixer, but a whisk works as well)
  2. Slowly add the sugar
  3. Beat until peaks form
  4. Use immediately (will begin to sag within hours)

NOTES:

SUGGESTIONS:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts on post? Tried this recipe? Share your good/bad experience...