09 September 2009

Photographers of Interest

Even though this blog has been mostly about food so far, if you check out the earliest entries, let it be noted that photography and cinematography are also [theoretically] mainstays as well.

Anyways, I have been meaning to post some of my photographic work and projects for a while now, but I unfortunately always get distracted right about the time that I mean to upload them. However, I recently enrolled in a Visual/Production Art class on B/W Film photography (which requires me to keep a blog) and as such, I have finally got my ass in gear and decided to start putting up photographic work/posts.

One of our earliest assignments was to compile a list of ten photographers. These could be anyone, but the one caveat given was to try to stay away from famous people everyone knows, like Ansel Adams. For my list, I decided to choose an eclectic mix of people I follow on flikr, some professional photographers from around where I lived, a few art and conceptual photographers, and some photojournalists. All in all, the people I choose are not extremely famous and each are unique from the rest of the list in someway, whether it is a cute gimmick-ey aspect or if they are just really good with composition. And without further ado...

10 Photographers of Interest

Allan Teger - http://www.bodyscapes.com/
This photographer did an interesting project involving photographing nudes. However instead of going towards an erotic, or 'ideal beauty' kind of end, he instead completely dehumanizes his models, turning them into nothing more than landscapes.

Hiroshi Sugimoto - http://www.sugimotohiroshi.com/
Sugimoto is a Japanese photographer who I found recently who does really amazing conceptual/mixed media photography. If you look on his website there are not too many of his photographs, but descriptions of his project: why he did them and what they are. These descriptions, more than the actual work itself, is what I really find interesting about him: every idea is so fresh and different

Michael Yon - http://www.michaelyon-online.com/eight-years-after-911.htm
Michael Yon is former soldier turned combat journalist. He has been living/photographing out of Afghanistan since 2004 and, as such has some amazing access. Some of his photos are fairly boring, but the majority of them really demonstrate that photojournalism doesn't have to be flat and non-aesthetically pleasing.

Perry Thompson - http://perphoto.com/
Perry Thompson is a professional photographer living and working out of Calgary. The reason that I though he was very interesting was his work with wedding photography and (not online) erotic portraiture, both I though were very well done (more often than not)

Haje Jan Kamps - http://www.flickr.com/photos/photocritic/
Haje Jan Kamps (more commonly known as photocritic) is a the author photocritic.org (the only photograhpy blog I read on a regular basis). I find his stuff really well executed in general, which is especially impressive as he shoots a wide a variety of subject matter.

Michael Bosanko - http://www.michaelbosanko.com/portfolio8407.html
Michael Bosanko is a very cool English photographer who does a lot of work with LED lights and long exposure shots; essentially creating what he calls light paintings — drawing images with lights during long exposures to great fantastic images.

Bunnyrel (Flickr username) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/bunnyrel/sets/72157615647396658/
Bunnyrel (real name: Arielle) is an interesting photographer that I discovered a while back. Her photography isn't especially amazing, but she is doing a very interesting project called "365 days of DANBOARD" in which she shoots this figurine that she has in a variety of settings, which I think is very well done and definitely worth checking out.

Sakura (Flikcr username) - http://www.flickr.com/photos/sakura-kame/
Sakura is another photographer that I discovered through Flickr. The aspect that really drew me to her work is the crispness and clarity of her macro photography, both of which I found quite amazing and impressive.

Trey Ratclif - http://www.stuckincustoms.com/10-principles-of-beautiful-photography/
Trey Ratclif is a photographer that does almost all of his finished work with HDR (High Dynamic Range) imagery, a genre which I often think is too over the top, and mostly looks like shit. However, his images I think are (mostly) a perfect balance of the more-than-real nature of HDR combined with the intangible detail of reality, something I found admirable and inspiring.

Ellie Won - http://www.insanitytheory.net/kitchenwench/
Ellie Won is a photographer that I discovered because of my love of food (and more specifically, food blogs). If you look at her Flickr account, her photography — in general — is of high quality, but of her work, what I think stands out the most is her food photography. All of the food just looks so appetizing, and succulent (and as she is just cooking for herself/friends, you know the food isn't doctored with stuff like motor oil, to make it more photogenic)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have thoughts on post? Tried this recipe? Share your good/bad experience...